- Caller took a beer out of the minbar in a hotel and quickly realized after one swig that it was urine. Someone had drunk the beer, then filled it with urine and put it back to avoid being charged.
- A mother called after finding her 2 year old son chewing on an AA battery he found in the remote control. Read more »
- After playing basketball, an 18 year old male took two large swigs from a Gatorade bottle that he found in his friend’s Jeep. Turns out it was windshield wiper fluid the friend had transferred to the smaller bottle to make it more portable.
- While crawling in the kitchen, a 10 month old bit into a Laundry Pod. Read more »
- A mother called because her 18 year old son was dared to drink a bottle of hot sauce. He developed significant vomiting and diarrhea.
- A 37 year old male inadvertently took two of his daughter’s Depakote tablets, thinking they were Tylenol. Read more »
- A caller was trying to unclog a stubborn drain and poured drain cleaner and bleach into the sink at the same time. He immediately began having nose and eye burning and coughing. Read more »
- A 3 year old child ingested a mouthful of calamine lotion.
- A 2 year old got into grandmother’s pill box and may have ingested up to one each of lisinopril, prednisone and atorvastatin. Read more »
- An ER called regarding two adult patients who presented with bluish tinged skin (cyanosis). They had made their own beef jerky at home and had added 5 times too much sodium nitrate as a preservative.
- A preschool teacher would like to have someone from IPC to come out and give a poison prevention lecture to the children (IPC’s public education manager helped her out: email@example.com). Read more »
- A mom called, she is visiting her friend (who uses e-cigarettes) and found her 2 year old sucking the liquid out of the E-cigarette device.
- An adult caller was using a Brillo pad to clean a stain on his underwear. As a result of vigorously scrubbing, some of the Brillo cleanser flew into his eye. Read more »
- An elderly man called because a drain opener splashed into his eyes when he poured it into a clogged drain.
- A 5 year old accidentally super glued his finger in his nose. Read more »
- An ER called for assistance with an adult male who was pulled unconscious from a tank he had been cleaning at his worksite.
- A toddler ingested a mouthful of acetone nail polish remover. Read more »
- A 3 year old child ingested an entire roll of Rolaids.
- A 23 year old woman is in the ER because she had been using an outdoor pesticide (chlorpyrifos) inside her house repeatedly over the past week. She is experiencing symptoms of dizziness and drowsiness. Read more »
- A 14 month old child took a bite out of his mother’s deodorant stick. Mom was able to remove most of the material from his mouth but he swallowed some.
- A 2 year old child ingested an unknown number of gummy vitamins. Read more »
- An 11 month old child was playing with the tube of diaper cream while his father changed his diaper. He bit into the tube and ingested a mouthful of the cream.
- EMS called because they are transporting a patient found by his wife; she woke up this morning to find that he was on the couch covered in vomit with empty pill bottles surrounding him. Read more »
Want to know what it is like to work at a poison center? Ever wonder just what type of calls we receive? All of these calls are typical of the type of calls the IPC gets on any given day. They are presented in a simulated call timeframe and details have been changed to protect the privacy of our callers. Regardless of how people come into contact with potentially harmful substances, our staff answers each call with concern, professionalism and respect. You never know when you will need us—put 1-800-222-1222 into your phone now! All calls to the IPC are free and confidential, and are answered by health care professionals specially trained in toxicology. Read more »
In September 2014, 147 people at North Mac Middle School in Girard, IL, were rushed to local hospitals after being poisoned with carbon monoxide. A gas water heater had malfunctioned (despite passing inspection a few months previous). By law, homes in Illinois are required to have a working carbon monoxide detector—not so for schools. Read more »
Gift giving season is upon us, and most of us have a child on our gift list. There are a few toys that bring out the scrooge in us here at IPC, because of the dangers they pose to children if ingested.
The first problematic item is one that contains a button cell battery. Button cell or disc batteries are coin shaped batteries used in a variety of electronic items such as toys, remote controls, musical greeting cards and hearing aids. Read more »
The holidays are a time of celebration and joy, connecting and reconnecting with friends and family. Many gatherings will have an abundance of food. Holiday feasts however, can be tricky; home chefs are often preparing a meal they don’t normally cook, and they’re preparing it for a larger group than usual. For many parties, different types of foods are often out in the open for extended periods of time. This can set the stage for some types of food borne illness (AKA food poisoning). Read more »
You know that taking too much medication is dangerous. But did you realize that abruptly stopping a medication after taking it regularly can be just as dangerous? Read more »
Two stories appeared in the news recently, each describing accidental poisonings with chemical cleaners that occurred in restaurants. It’s important to note that cleaning chemicals such as the ones described in these stories can also be found in the home. These incidents can serve as examples of injuries that can happen when poison prevention practices are not followed. Read more »
Have you ever given your child a liquid medication? If so, there is a pretty good chance that you may have given your child the wrong dose. This topic was the subject of a recently published article in the American Academy of Pediatrics. The study found that approximately 40% of parents made an error in giving liquid medicine! Read more »
The IPC receives about 80,000 calls each year regarding poisonings; in 2013 over 50,000 of those were calling from their home about an exposure that occurred there. Luckily, we were able to keep 90% of those people at home, without the need to go to an emergency room or doctor’s office for their exposure. That is part of what we do here at the IPC—determine which 90% will do just fine with no treatment and which 10% need to be evaluated by a healthcare professional for possible treatment.
If you or your child has ingested a potentially harmful substance in your home, the first instinct often is to do something or give something in an attempt to counteract or reverse the potential poison. This instinct is understandable and explains why there are so many home/folk remedies out there. Unfortunately some of these can be much more dangerous than the substance originally ingested! Read more »
Occasionally, the IPC gets a call regarding a family that was inadvertently ‘served’ a poison added to their food by a well-meaning home chef. Most of our case studies relate back to IPC’s core poison prevention messages and this one is no different. Today’s lesson is never store chemicals or cleaning products near food. Read more »
Today’s case study involves poisoning exposures that occurred because a potentially harmful substance was stored in the wrong container. One of the IPC’s core poison prevention messages is always store chemicals, cleaning products, and medications in their original containers. There are good reasons for this:
- The usage directions are always with the product
- The substance is in a child-resistant container when appropriate
- Everyone knows exactly what the substance is and what it is meant to be used for
Here are some real cases. In sharing these, we hope it will prevent further cases of the wrong container. Read more »
Welcome to the second installment of The Case Files of the IPC. Today’s case study involves taking medicine twice instead of once. It happens to the best of us. The two most common times to take medication is in the morning and at bedtime—times when there are a lot of other things going on. Also, many people take medication every day and popping a pill becomes part of the routine—something you do without really thinking about it. This can lead to forgetfulness—‘wait… did I take this already or didn’t I?’ Read more »
Here at the IPC we get a lot of interesting calls, as you might imagine. We get gross calls, calls about dares, calls about kids, calls about really toxic stuff, and calls about less toxic stuff. It is all just another day at the IPC for our experts, who manage over 80,000 poisoning cases each year. There are lessons to be learned in all of these cases and we’d like to share some with you throughout the next couple of months. Read more »