Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

“My Child Ate…Something Around the House!”

Posted: September 27th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

The blog series “My Child Ate…” continues this week with us taking a look at the top ten things children are getting into around the house.  Each year, poison centers receive over one million calls involving children ages five and under.  Have you ever wondered what in the world kids are getting into? Well check out our top 10 list below:

  1. Cosmetics/Personal Care Products: “It’s pretty and pink.  It’s easy to open, and looks like a  fruit drink.” Read more »

Outdoor Summer Safety

Posted: June 28th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Temperatures are warm, the sun is shining and kids are out of school.  Summertime is “outside time”, so read on for tips to keep your family safe while outdoors!

Plants and Mushrooms

Learn the names of all the plants in your garden and landscaping, and label them with both their common and botanical names (tip: bring a cut of the plant/flower to your local nursery or greenhouse if you don’t know what you have).  Consult the IPC’s toxic plant list to help plan your garden, especially if you have little ones. Teach children to never eat mushrooms or berries growing outside. Read more »


Top 10 Drug and Poison Safety Tips

Posted: June 7th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

June is National Safety Month.  Did you know that potentially hazardous substances can be found in nearly every home?  Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe from potentially toxic exposures!

1. Store all medications, chemicals and household products out of reach and out of sight of children—ideally locked up. Read more »


Answering the call in a public health emergency

Posted: March 29th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Mr. Yuk and the limitation of the symbol.  Poison centers embrace their traditional service in helping mothers and other care givers care their little loved ones when they may have ingested a potentially harmful substance; 50% of the calls that the Illinois Poison Center receives involve children 5 and under.  Poison centers however do so much more. Read more »


11pm-11:59pm (14 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 1 Comment »
  1. A 38 year old woman got out of the shower and did not have her glasses on.  She reached for her aerosol spray deodorant but instead used Scrubbing Bubbles.
  2. A 23 year old female was brought to the ER after confessing to her mother that she had ingested several handfuls of over the counter sleeping pills and alcohol. Read more »

10pm-11pm (17 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | No Comments »
  1. A 2 year old ingested an unknown amount of moisturizing body butter.
  2. A 69 year old male inadvertently swallowed a Spiriva capsule instead of using it in his powder inhaler. Read more »

9pm-10pm (19 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 3 Comments »
  1. A woman called because she had reached into her bathroom cabinet in the dark for a tube of personal lubricant and accidentally used toothpaste instead.
  2. A 5 year old ingested up to 10 of his own Singulair tablets. Read more »

8pm-9pm (20 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | No Comments »
  1. An ER called requesting treatment advice regarding a 26 year old intoxicated male who was bit by his pet rattlesnake on the neck.  He was showing off the snake to his friends at a party and had placed it around his neck. Read more »

6pm-7pm (18 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 1 Comment »
  1. Caller took a beer out of the minbar in a hotel and quickly realized after one swig that it was urine.  Someone had drunk the beer, then filled it with urine and put it back to avoid being charged.
  2. A 1 year old ingested a mouthful of Desitin® diaper cream. Read more »

5pm-6pm (16 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 3 Comments »
  1. A 4 year old child ingested some granules from a silica gel packet.
  2. After playing basketball, an 18 year old male took two large swigs from a Gatorade® bottle that he found in his friend’s Jeep.  Turns out it was windshield wiper fluid the friend had transferred to the smaller bottle to make it more portable. Read more »

4pm-5pm (15 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 2 Comments »
  1. A mother called because her 18 year old son was dared to drink a bottle of hot sauce.  He developed significant vomiting and diarrhea.
  2. A 1 year old licked his father’s deodorant stick.
  3. A 37 year old male inadvertently took two of his daughter’s Depakote tablets, thinking they were Tylenol. Read more »

3pm-4pm (14 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | No Comments »
  1. A caller was trying to unclog a stubborn drain and poured drain cleaner and bleach into the sink at the same time.   He immediately began having nose and eye burning and coughing.  (bleach and an acid drain cleaner mixed together create chlorine gas which is a very strong respiratory irritant). Read more »

12pm-1pm (15 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 4 Comments »
  1. A 2 year old girl was playing in mom’s dresser and squirted perfume into her eyes.
  2. An adult female patient presented to the emergency room with severely blistered hands.  The patient recently purchased some ‘all natural’ household cleaner, and she assumed since all the ingredients were all-natural it would be safe to use to disinfect her hands.  The product’s ingredients, while perfectly natural, were caustic and caused chemical burns. Read more »

11am-12pm (15 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 1 Comment »
  1. A 1 year old child scraped some soap off a bar of soap with her teeth.
  2. An elderly man called because a drain opener splashed into his eyes when he poured it into a clogged drain.
  3. A 3 year old child was playing with nail polish, and put it on her lips like lipstick. Read more »

10am-11am (13 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , , | 3 Comments »
  1. An ER called for assistance with an adult male who was pulled unconscious from a tank he had been cleaning at his worksite.
  2. A 3 year old child has eaten several granules in a silica gel packet. Read more »