Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Fatal Attraction: Hazards of Swallowing High-Powered Magnets

Posted: December 11th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Is a set of high-powered magnet toys on your shopping list this holiday season? If so, be careful about leaving them under the Christmas tree or anywhere a child can reach them. The attraction to magnets is understandable since the force field produced by these objects appears to be a magical trick. But these high-powered magnets can be very dangerous to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract if swallowed.

Read more »


Small Stocking Stuffers Can Spell BIG Trouble

Posted: November 29th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

With all the fun and excitement of gift shopping and exchanging this holiday season, it is easy to buy the coolest toys and games, but some of them may be dangerous in small hands.  We want to point out two items that if swallowed by a child (or anyone for that matter) could lead to injury to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and may even pose a life threatening risk.  If swallowed, high powered magnets and button batteries may damage the lining of the stomach and intestine to such an extent that an emergency surgery may be necessary. Read more »