- An elderly man called because a drain opener splashed into his eyes when he poured it into a clogged drain.
- A 5 year old accidentally super glued his finger in his nose.
- A 3 year old child was playing with nail polish, and put it on her lips like lipstick.
- The county medical examiner called wanting to know if inhaling Orange Glo® can cause death.
- A 3 year old child was found eating rat poison pellets. (They are a bright teal color) He told his mom, ‘candy!’
- While crawling around at home, an 11 month old got into the cat litter box and may have ingested litter and/or cat feces.
- A man called because the coffee he purchased at his local gas station tasted like cleaning chemicals. He was worried about what he may have ingested.
- A 13 month old was found sucking on a Clorox disinfecting wipe.
- A 2 year old child bit into his older sibling’s Strattera Mom was able to remove half a pill from his mouth.
- A farmer presented to the ER after inadvertently sticking himself with a syringe containing a pig vaccine.
- A children’s hospital ER called because a toddler got into grandma’s pill box and there was one oxycodone tablet and 2 glipizide tablets missing.
- A school nurse called because a 16 year old high school student spilled sodium hydroxide onto her arm during a chemistry experiment.
***IPC specialists also made 19 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been previously consulted on.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.