- An 11 month old child was playing with the tube of diaper cream while his father changed his diaper. He bit into the tube and ingested a mouthful of the cream.
- EMS called because they are transporting a patient found by his wife; she woke up this morning to find that he was on the couch covered in vomit with empty pill bottles surrounding him.
- A mom called because she accidentally gave her 2 month old her other child’s heart medication.
- A mother of a 14 year old male called because he has taken his morning allergy medication twice.
- An ER nurse called about 47 year old man who came to the ER with a severe toothache. He stated has taken nearly 40 tablets of acetaminophen in the last 3 days to try to treat the pain.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 12am-7am
- A Day In the Life of a Poison Center
- The downside of inadequate poison center funding
- I had to call the Illinois Poison Center
- Welcome to the Illinois Poison Center Blog