Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Halloween Health Safety Tips: How To Have A Safe and Spooky Good Time

Posted: October 15th, 2013 | Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

halloweenHalloween is just around the corner and little ghosts and goblins everywhere are gearing up for this night of fright!  But parents BEWARE! As we begin to get into the spirit of Halloween, here are some quick pointers to ensure a hauntingly delightful Halloween

Throw out any homemade treats made by strangers.

Remind children to only eat treats that are in their original, unopened wrappers.

Inspect all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.

Candy should be thrown away if the wrapper is faded or torn, or if the candy is unwrapped.

Keep alcohol away from children since this can be dangerous, especially to little ones. Make sure opened containers, unfinished beverages and all other items containing alcohol are out of reach.

 

Oral/skin exposure or ingestion of dry ice is a major concern and can cause damage.

  • Dry ice is the solid/frozen form of carbon dioxide; this is the same gas found in the bubbles of soda pop
  • Make sure to wear protective clothing when handling dry ice to prevent frostbite (ex. leather gloves)
  • Dry ice should be stored in an insulated container; do not store it in the freezer
  • Do not store dry ice in an unventilated room or area
  • Do not place dry ice directly in punch bowl or drinking cups; direct contact with dry ice may cause throat burning
  • Skin burns from dry ice should be handled in the same manner as skin burns from heat
  • If blisters start to appear, you should contact your doctor

Remind your children not to chew on or break open glow sticks or any other glow in the dark products.

  • Dibutyl phthalate is the chemical contained in glow sticks to make them glow; it is a clear, oily, and colorless liquid
  • Exposure to the contents inside glow sticks can cause mild irritation
  • If the glow stick substance gets on the skin or in the mouth, it should be washed off immediately
  • If the glow stick substance gets into the eye or more than mild skin/oral irritation occurs, call the IPC at 1-800-222-1222 right away for treatment recommendations

 

Test makeup on a small area of skin first (preferably the arm) to check for sensitivity to any ingredients before applying it to the face.

Remove makeup before bedtime to prevent possible skin and eye irritation.

Eyes and the surrounding area should be avoided when applying makeup to the face.

Avoid decorating the face or body with things that aren’t intended for the skin.

Throw out any makeup that has a very bad smell; this could be a sign of contamination.

Similar to vampires, the Illinois Poison Center is awake all night! If you have any questions or concerns this Halloween don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-222-1222 any time day or night. Don’t forget to check out the “My Child Ate…” resource center which gives toxicity level and treatment information for the most common substances/products ingested by children.

Hope everyone has a safe and FANGtastic Halloween!

 

Click on the link below to watch and enjoy with your family:

Groovie Goolies Monster Mash Music Video – YouTube

Bookmark and Share

Related posts:

  1. Happy Halloween: Boo!…not Boo-Hoo.
  2. Tricky Treats to Avoid This Halloween
  3. Memorial Day/Summer Safety Tips: Keeping kids safe from poisons in the garage
  4. Keeping Illinois Safe: Hazard surveillance & Public health safety
  5. Don’t Be Foggy-Headed About Dry Ice Safety!


Leave a Reply