5 Responses

  1. Kim Scarborough
    Kim Scarborough April 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm |

    Once I was urinating in a toilet in my office building’s bathroom, and once it started mixing with the water asphyxiating fumes started rising up. I felt like I’d been maced. I’ve often wondered what caused this. Was it just bleach in the toilet? Seems like this would happen more often if so (it never happened again, there or anywhere else).

  2. IPC
    IPC April 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm |

    That sounds very scary. But you’re right usually the mix of household bleach diluted in toilet water and urine wouldn’t cause such a potent release of gases. My guess is whoever cleaned the toilet prior to your use, left a mixture of several chemicals which once mixed with urine contributed to the gas release. There’s really no way to know. But if that should ever happen again, and hopefully it doesn’t, make sure you immediately call the poison center hotline: 1-800-222-1222.

  3. Illinois Poison Center Blog » Blog Archive » Summertime = More Calls at IPC: 5 Reasons Why

    […] involved in accidental poisoning are those that contain chlorine. Chlorine fumes are a significant respiratory irritant.  Always take caution when using these chemicals:  open and use them in a very well ventilated […]

  4. IPC
    IPC October 12, 2010 at 11:03 am |

    Thanks for your comment Dr!

  5. Nyvaeh
    Nyvaeh May 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

    Posts like this brighten up my day. Thanks for taking the time.

Leave a Reply