- A 38 year old woman got out of the shower and did not have her glasses on. She reached for her aerosol spray deodorant but instead used Scrubbing Bubbles.
- A 23 year old female was brought to the ER after confessing to her mother that she had ingested several handfuls of over the counter sleeping pills and alcohol.
- A 32 year old man called because he reached into the medicine cabinet to take his allergy pill and inadvertently grabbed a bottle of old pain medication. He knows this medicine makes him very groggy and he works nights at a factory. He is about to leave for work and wonders what he can do to counteract the effects.
- A 35 year old man spilled a gallon of paint thinner in his lap. He is experiencing extreme pain and some skin peeling in his groin area.
- A caller stated that his downstairs neighbors had their wood floors stained today and the smell has been giving him a headache and is preventing him from sleeping.
- An adult woman called because she had a glass of milk and when she got to the bottom, she noticed several granules of dishwasher detergent in the glass.
- An ER physician called for treatment advice regarding a 14 year old that ingested an unknown amount of over-the-counter analgesic. She is refusing to tell him exactly what she took.
- An adult female caller wanted to know the symptoms of heroin withdrawal and if they are life threatening.
- A 34 year old man took some pills from his roommate, thinking they were Valium®. Turns out they were diabetes medication; the patient is now comatose and having seizures because his blood sugar is so low.
- A mother called after the dog got into her 6 year old’s bedroom; the dog had a gel anti-flea product applied on his head and it had gotten all over her child and the child’s bed.
- A 12 year old went to take some Tylenol® for a headache and accidentally took the Tylenol PM®. Mom called to make sure the ‘PM part’ would not adversely affect her 12 year old who is small for her age.
- A mother called because both she and her husband gave their infant daughter a dose of children’s ibuprofen suspension within an hour of each other.
- An ER nurse called about a 56 year old patient who ingested an unknown amount of Flexeril®.
- A 36 year old woman called to ask if over the counter cough syrup could be causing her blurry vision.
***IPC specialists also made 5 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been consulted on.
This is only the last hour of a day in the life of the poison center! Click here to read the rest.