Posted: October 4th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, berries, bugs, child, dirt, google my child ate, google my kid ate, google my toddler ate, Illinois, Illinois Poison Center, ipc blog, mother, mushrooms, nature, outside, plants, playground, www.illinoispoisoncenter.org | No Comments »
How many times have you squealed aloud after discovering your child has recently delved into what they believe to be a culinary delight but you know to be just plain gross?
While getting outside to allow your brood some time to release excess energy is the primary goal, it may lead to unexpected, and often quite disgusting ingestions. Read more »
Posted: September 6th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, animals, fish, Illinois Poison Center, mother nature, mushrooms, non-toxic, organic, plants, poisonprevention, substances, toxic | 1 Comment »
It’s one of the biggest poison myths of all time: ‘all-natural’ or ‘organic’ substances are safer than their man-made or ‘chemical’ counterparts. However, the fact is that some of the most toxic substances known to man come straight from mother earth (or her creatures). There may be many positives about organic or all-natural products, but being inherently safer to humans is not one of them. Please don’t make the mistake of being less than vigilant in the way you store organic cleansers, all-natural pesticides or herbal supplements. Remember the toxicology mantra “the dosage makes it so”. Any substance can be potentially harmful/toxic in the right amount! Read more »
Posted: July 19th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, adult, dare, drink, eat, First-Aid, fish, hot sauce, Illinois Poison Center, mushrooms, poison control, potentially toxic, teens, toxic, truth, urine | No Comments »
Unfortunately, many poison exposure incidents start with 3 little words: “I dare you…” A group of friends egging each other on, calling bravery into question (and often offering money if the dare is completed) can quickly turn a flippant suggestion into a potential medical emergency.
Here are some dares the IPC staff has consulted on:
- A 40 year old male was dared to chew and swallow a lizard for $50. A live one. There is a reason we have the Brookfield Zoo’s senior reptile keeper’s phone number on our quick number list! Read more »
Posted: June 28th, 2011 | Tags: emergency, holiday, Illinois Poison Center, independence day, mushrooms, plants, poisoning, safety, summer, sunscreen, toxic exposure | No Comments »
Temperatures are warm, the sun is shining and kids are out of school. Summertime is “outside time”, so read on for tips to keep your family safe while outdoors!
Plants and Mushrooms
Learn the names of all the plants in your garden and landscaping, and label them with both their common and botanical names (tip: bring a cut of the plant/flower to your local nursery or greenhouse if you don’t know what you have). Consult the IPC’s toxic plant list to help plan your garden, especially if you have little ones. Teach children to never eat mushrooms or berries growing outside. Read more »