Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

The Case of the Wrong Container

Posted: March 18th, 2014 | Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Today’s case study involves poisoning exposures that occurred because a potentially harmful substance was stored in the wrong container.  One of the IPC’s core poison prevention messages is always store chemicals, cleaning products, and medications in their original containers.  There are good reasons for this:

  1. The usage directions are always with the product
  2. The substance is in a child-resistant container when appropriate
  3. Everyone knows exactly what the substance is and what it is meant to be used for

Here are some real cases.  In sharing these, we hope it will prevent further cases of the wrong container. Read more »


IPC’s Top Ten Blogs

Posted: December 10th, 2013 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

IPC magnet

It’s that time of year!  No, I’m not talking about the holidays, I’m talking about the ‘best of’ lists that everyone is writing now that 2013 is coming to a close.  In honor of the 4th anniversary of the IPC blog, here are our top 10 most popular blogs since 2009: Read more »


Top 5 Things You Didn’t Think Could be Poisonous to Children

Posted: January 5th, 2010 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 17 Comments »

Half of the calls received by the IPC involve kids under the age of 6.  Young children are naturally curious and explore their environments by touching and putting things into their mouths.  They learn by imitation, their taste buds are immature and they do not understand cause and effect.  Plus they are just small, so in many cases it doesn’t take much to overwhelm their little systems.  The IPC recommends keeping all potentially harmful substances away from children, because just about anything can be a poison in the right amount.  The following 5 things are in many households and it may surprise you that they can be so harmful. Read more »