Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

The 4th Brings Forth Some Challenges

Posted: July 2nd, 2013 | Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

fireworksTemperatures and grills are hot, bugs are swarming and the sky is a glow with fireworks…it’s the Fourth of July! While the Fourth is usually a time for joyous celebrations, like every holiday, it brings forth its own set of poisoning hazards to adults, children and pets. Before you and yours celebrate America’s birthday, review these tips on staying safe this holiday! Read more »


Holiday Survival Guide Part One

Posted: December 25th, 2012 | Tags: , , , | No Comments »

 

holidaysurvivalkit2Welcome to the Illinois Poison Center Holiday Survival Guide! Whether it’s a spoiled treat or too many party poisons, joyous holiday celebrations have the potential to become hazardous situations. Read more »


Fatal Attraction: Hazards of Swallowing High-Powered Magnets

Posted: December 11th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Is a set of high-powered magnet toys on your shopping list this holiday season? If so, be careful about leaving them under the Christmas tree or anywhere a child can reach them. The attraction to magnets is understandable since the force field produced by these objects appears to be a magical trick. But these high-powered magnets can be very dangerous to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract if swallowed.

Read more »


How Much Holly is too Jolly?

Posted: December 4th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

 

 Click here to listen to Burl Ives’ “Holly Jolly Christmas”

As the autumn leaves dwindle to the coming winter frost, our cities and homes become alive with holiday décor such as wreaths, Christmas trees, mistletoe, poinsettia, and American holly.  Last year, we addressed the toxicity hazards of the poinsettia plant.  This year our focus will be on the American Holly.

Read more »


Poinsettia Plants – Poisonous or Not? Let’s Put it to Rest

Posted: December 6th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Nothing says the holidays quite like bright lights, trees and other decorations; and no holiday decor would seem complete without those pretty poinsettias. Although poinsettias are a fixture around many homes this time of year, calls to the IPC increase from concerned parents, Read more »


Small Stocking Stuffers Can Spell BIG Trouble

Posted: November 29th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

With all the fun and excitement of gift shopping and exchanging this holiday season, it is easy to buy the coolest toys and games, but some of them may be dangerous in small hands.  We want to point out two items that if swallowed by a child (or anyone for that matter) could lead to injury to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and may even pose a life threatening risk.  If swallowed, high powered magnets and button batteries may damage the lining of the stomach and intestine to such an extent that an emergency surgery may be necessary. Read more »