Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Laundry Detergent ‘Pods’: A new product formulation with unexpected toxicity

Posted: May 22nd, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments »

For years the IPC has received calls involving a child getting into laundry detergent.  Luckily, an unintentional taste of powder or liquid laundry detergent by a child is expected to cause minimal toxicity: throat or stomach irritation at the worst. In fact, most children don’t develop any symptoms at all.  However, over the past couple months we (and the other poison centers in the country) have been seeing a new formulation of laundry detergent that is causing alarming toxicity.   Read more »


“Your Call Is Important To Us…”

Posted: April 17th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

We are currently busy with other callers and will be with you shortly . . .

I really hate our new phone hold message . . . and so do those who use our services . . .  but we had to make the change to reflect our new reality.

For the past three years, the IPC has been the classic story of a struggling non-profit public health service faced with an increasing need for services while coming to grips with rapidly declining support from funding agencies.  In response to the loss of funding, the Illinois Poison Center has had to make difficult staffing changes to bring expenses in line with the new lower revenues.  The need for poison center services however, has increased tremendously in this same period of time, leading to a difficulty in meeting the needs of the Illinoisans we serve. Read more »


“Poison”…What’s it Really Mean?

Posted: February 28th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

March is Illinois Poison Prevention Month

Say the word “poison” and most people conjure up an image of chemicals in a container marked with a skull and cross-bones, arsenic or even Agent Orange.   But these are only a few of the thousands of substances the experts in the call center deal with that involve children and adults of all ages,  ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds.  A majority of the calls involve medication errors, medication/drug reactions; cleaning/beauty care/automotive products, insect/animal bites and stings, plants, food, vitamins/supplements, lead, carbon monoxide and sometimes even regular drinking water, etc.  Basically…anything and everything has the potential to be harmful; Read more »


My Child Ate…Christmas!

Posted: December 20th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

As part of my reconnaissance for writing this post, I polled my Facebook friends and asked, “What do you think is the most toxic thing about the Holidays”?  One of my favorite replies was, “relatives”.  Well, unfortunately that is more “Dear Prudence’s” purview than my own, but below you will find some information on what is the most common or dangerous substances the IPC hears about around the holidays. Read more »


Baths Salts: Examples of Paranoia, Psychosis & Tragedy

Posted: June 14th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

I just love doing internet searches.  I am old enough to remember searching the library for journals, magazines and newspapers, books, and scanning microfiche for hours on end in order to find information for projects and articles.  Now with technology, key tidbits on almost any topic are just a few key strokes away.

Recently, I was reading a list serve thread about Bath Salts and a potential relationship with traumatic death by suicide or homicide. Read more »


Top 10 Drug and Poison Safety Tips

Posted: June 7th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

June is National Safety Month.  Did you know that potentially hazardous substances can be found in nearly every home?  Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe from potentially toxic exposures!

1. Store all medications, chemicals and household products out of reach and out of sight of children—ideally locked up. Read more »


Top 5 Bug Spray Questions: Home Edition

Posted: May 24th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

This time of year, the Illinois Poison Center’s call volume starts to increase for a variety of reasons. One of  those reasons has to do with the use of pesticides in the home.  Here are the top 5 most frequently asked questions about insecticides:

1. Can I use outdoor-use pesticides inside the house if I have a really bad bug problem?

No!  There is a major difference in the safety level of the two products. Most Read more »


“Ay, Ay…I Splashed_____in my Eye”

Posted: October 5th, 2010 | Tags: , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

How to manage and prevent harmful chemical exposures to the eye

By: Tony Burda and Robert Redwood ( 4th Year Medical Student  at RUMC)

When you think of the type calls received by a Poison Control Center, you probably think of poisonings such as  a child tasting rat poison or eating several handfuls of chewable vitamins or taking several bites of a house plant. Yet, in 2008 over 113,000 calls were placed to US Poison Centers regarding ocular (eye) exposures to chemicals alone! Read more »


National Take-Back Initiative

Posted: September 20th, 2010 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

 

 

On September 25, 2010, the DEA will coordinate a collaborative effort with state and local law enforcement agencies to remove potentially dangerous controlled substances from our nation’s medicine cabinets. Read more »