Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Hot Dogs, Button Batteries, and Pediatric ER Visits

Posted: May 29th, 2012 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

The IPC wrote a blog several months ago on the potential dangers of button batteries during the past holiday season.  As an update, a new study recently published in Pediatrics, shows that ER visits related to batteries have doubled in the past 20 years; most of the increase has occurred in the past 8 years as button batteries have become more ubiquitous in the marketplace. Read more »


My Child Ate…Christmas!

Posted: December 20th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

As part of my reconnaissance for writing this post, I polled my Facebook friends and asked, “What do you think is the most toxic thing about the Holidays”?  One of my favorite replies was, “relatives”.  Well, unfortunately that is more “Dear Prudence’s” purview than my own, but below you will find some information on what is the most common or dangerous substances the IPC hears about around the holidays. Read more »


Small Stocking Stuffers Can Spell BIG Trouble

Posted: November 29th, 2011 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

With all the fun and excitement of gift shopping and exchanging this holiday season, it is easy to buy the coolest toys and games, but some of them may be dangerous in small hands.  We want to point out two items that if swallowed by a child (or anyone for that matter) could lead to injury to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and may even pose a life threatening risk.  If swallowed, high powered magnets and button batteries may damage the lining of the stomach and intestine to such an extent that an emergency surgery may be necessary. Read more »