Posted: September 27th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, blog, children, google my kid ate, google my toddler ate, Illinois Poison Center, ipc blog, medication, my child ate google, my child ate nail polish google, Poison Center, poison prevention, toxic exposure, www.illinoispoisoncenter.org | No Comments »
The blog series “My Child Ate…” continues this week with us taking a look at the top ten things children are getting into around the house. Each year, poison centers receive over one million calls involving children ages five and under. Have you ever wondered what in the world kids are getting into? Well check out our top 10 list below:
- Cosmetics/Personal Care Products: “It’s pretty and pink. It’s easy to open, and looks like a fruit drink.” Read more »
Posted: January 5th, 2010 | Tags: baking soda, blog, C, children, Illinois, Illinois Poison Center, IPC, lamp oil, mouthwash, muscle rubs, nicotine, poison, Poison Center, poisonous, salt, toxic | 17 Comments »
Half of the calls received by the IPC involve kids under the age of 6. Young children are naturally curious and explore their environments by touching and putting things into their mouths. They learn by imitation, their taste buds are immature and they do not understand cause and effect. Plus they are just small, so in many cases it doesn’t take much to overwhelm their little systems. The IPC recommends keeping all potentially harmful substances away from children, because just about anything can be a poison in the right amount. The following 5 things are in many households and it may surprise you that they can be so harmful. Read more »
Posted: December 15th, 2009 | Tags: blog, carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide poisoning, Illinois Poison Center, natural gas, poisoning | 1 Comment »
Winter is here, which means furnaces are on, fireplaces are crackling and ovens are baking up tasty treats. Do YOU know the difference between these two potentially toxic gases? If you didn’t even know there was a difference, you’re not alone. Here’s the scoop.
First of all, breathing and oxygen (O2) 101: You take a breath of room air (which is about 21% O2 here on Earth), and the air goes into your lungs. Your red blood cells pick up the O2 from your lungs, and they carry it on to your organs, which need O2 to work properly. The organs that use the most O2 are your brain and heart…. Yep, those are pretty important ones. Read more »
Posted: December 9th, 2009 | Tags: blog, IL, Illinois, poison, Poison Center, poisonous, safety, toxic | 5 Comments »
An Introduction to the Illinois Poison Center Blog:
Welcome to the first post of the Illinois Poison Center blog site! I must be honest, in medical school I never thought I would be writing an internet blog, probably because Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet yet and blogs did not exist. A lot has changed in the past 20 plus years. With the tremendous growth in the internet and social media, the ability to communicate in the blogosphere has taken off with mommy blogs, daddy blogs, political blogs, community blogs, health-related blogs and others. There are those who may ask “Does the world really need another blog, especially a poison center blog?” I would have to answer with an unequivocal “yes”.
The Illinois Poison Center provides a variety of services and programs that encompass health care, public health education and research. Through this blog, we will generate a dialogue, a conversation, with everyone interested in decreasing the harm of poisoning in their family, community or in the patients they treat.
We will have stories, articles, news you can use, interesting poisoning cases, and information and education on how to make your home and community safer. Read more »