- A woman called because she had reached into her bathroom cabinet in the dark for a tube of personal lubricant and accidentally used toothpaste instead.
- A 5 year old ingested up to 10 of his own Singulair.
- An ER called regarding an adult male who picked wild mushrooms to make a soup. He cooked and ate the soup and 7 hours later is vomiting and has abdominal pain. Luckily he brought some of the mushrooms with him; the hospital will send a digital picture to the IPC and we can have our mycologist identify it so we know how to treat the patient.
- A 2 year old was found playing with foot powder, may have ingested some.
- A toddler ingested an entire bottle of homeopathic teething tablets.
- A 19 year old woman took 3 of her mother’s levothyroxine, having mistaken them for her own medicine.
- A caller, who does not have good relations with a neighbor, believes the neighbor is trying to poison her dog. She wanted to know where she can get dog food tested for poisons.
- A 2 year old got into a bottle of Excedrin extra strength tablets and ingested an unknown quantity. There were up to 12 tablets missing from the bottle.
- A 61 year old female was brought into the ER after ingesting 12 aspirin tablets and a handful of Tylenol PM.
- Caller is organizing a dinner at a restaurant; one of the attendees is allergic to shellfish. She is wondering if they go to a restaurant that serves a lot of shellfish, can just being in the environment (with dishes being carried around by servers) cause an allergic reaction.
- A 20 year old works at a pet shop and was stung by a lionfish when he cleaned the tank.
- Caller just purchased a new carbon monoxide detector and wanted to know what the best place is to put it– on the ceiling or head-height?
- An ICU called to ask about the antidote for thallium poisoning, as there was an attempted homicide with thallium and they are trying to save the patient’s life.
- A 40 year old female inadvertently ingested a large swallow of oven cleaner her husband had been using earlier in the day.
- A 9 month old had chewed some of the varnish off of her crib railing.
- A 36 year old female drank some soda with reusable ice. When she finished the glass she noticed that one of the reusable ice cubes had leaked into her soda and she consumed the liquid that had been inside.
- An ER called about an adult male who was found unresponsive in a hotel room and an empty bottle of antifreeze on the night table.
***IPC specialists also made 14 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been previously consulted on.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 3pm-4pm
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 5pm-6pm
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 7am-8am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 4pm-5pm
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 2pm-3pm