- A 3 year old child ingested an entire roll of Rolaids.
- A 23 year old woman is in the ER because she had been using an outdoor pesticide (chlorpyrifos) inside her house repeatedly over the past week. She is experiencing symptoms of dizziness and drowsiness.
- An 18 month old child was found sucking on the wick of an oil-based plug-in air freshener.
- An adult male called because he mixed up his medication and took two of his hydrochlorothiazide
- While crawling in the kitchen, a 1 year old had a finger lick of dishwasher detergent.
- A 30 year old male was bitten by an unknown type of spider.
- A mom called because her 11 month old son, while crawling around on the floor, ate the dog’s pill that the dog had spit out.
- After grocery shopping last night, a caller forgot to put a large roast in the refrigerator; she asked if is okay to eat since it has been out all night.
- An ER called regarding a 50 year old woman who ingested an unknown amount of tramadol and Depakote the night before. She is minimally responsive and family reports that she possibly had a seizure.
*** IPC specialists also made 15 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been previously consulted on.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 7am-8am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 8am-9am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 12am-7am
- 9am-10am (10 calls)
- A Day In the Life of a Poison Center