- A 14 month old child took a bite out of his mother’s deodorant stick. Mom was able to remove most of the material from his mouth but he swallowed some.
- A 2 year old child ingested an unknown number of gummy vitamins.
- A 60 year old female mixed up her insulin and took 20 units of her quick acting insulin when she should have taken 20 units of her long acting insulin. She normally only takes 10 units of her quick acting insulin.
- An ER called regarding an adolescent who took an unknown amount of his siblings’ and parents’ medication. Drugs that could have been taken include Adderall, Lipitor, atenolol, metformin, glipizide, Xanax, Effexor, Vicodin, quetiapine and Pradaxa.
- A middle aged woman called; she inadvertently took one pill of her husband’s heart medication thinking it was a vitamin.
- A school nurse had tried to administer an EpiPen to a student who was having an allergic reaction, and inadvertently stuck herself through one of her fingers with the large needle of medication.
***IPC specialists also made 4 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been previously consulted on.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 7am-8am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 12am-7am
- 8am-9am (6 calls)
- A Day In the Life of a Poison Center
- Midnight-7am (35 calls)