- A caller was trying to unclog a stubborn drain and poured drain cleaner and bleach into the sink at the same time. He immediately began having nose and eye burning and coughing.
- A 3 year old child ingested up to 10 chewable multivitamins with iron.
- An ER called regarding a 19 year old male who used Drano to unclog the bath drain; he then took a bath in the tub (despite the drain being clogged). His body was submerged in the water, and he now has a chemical burn from the waist down and is having respiratory issues.
- A 3 year old ingested a lead fishing weight.
- A 35 year old female called, because she took two of her malaria prevention tablets in the same day, and they are only supposed to be taken once a week.
- A toddler found a mothball in the garage, took one bite and spit most of it out.
- A 2 year old ingested up to a half a bottle of Mylicon
- An ER called about a 60 year old man who was prescribed fentanyl patches for his cancer pain. He did not know how to use the patches and instead of sticking it onto his skin, he cut open the patch and rubbed the gel inside onto his chest.
- A 4 year old child was bitten by a field mouse.
- A woman called concerned because her cleaning lady used a ‘strong’ product in her microwave. She could still smell the cleaner and asked if it is safe to cook food in there and eat it.
- A toddler got into his grandmother’s medication; the grandmother was visiting from Poland and does not speak English. The ER called IPC for help in finding out what the pill is and what it is used for.
- Caller got a polyisocyante compound (Great Stuff) stuck to his hands and couldn’t get it off.
- A 20 year old male put weekly contact lens cleaner directly in his eye thinking it was rewetting drops.
***IPC specialists also made 6 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on patients.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.