- An ER called for assistance with an adult male who was pulled unconscious from a tank he had been cleaning at his worksite.
- A toddler ingested a mouthful of acetone nail polish remover.
- A mom’s group wanted to order some poison prevention materials. IPC directed her to illinoispoisoncenter.org/Poison_Prevention_Education to take our free online poison prevention education course, which after completing, she can order a variety of free materials.
- A 3 year old child went into the refrigerator and drank the remainder of his cherry amoxicillin
- An adolescent patient presented to an ER after taking a large swallow from a Snapple Iced Tea bottle that turned out to be concentrated pesticide. A family member had borrowed the concentrate from a friend and had put it in the tea bottle to transport.
- A 3 year old ingested a piece of Play Doh.
- Caller received a get well plant and wondered if it is toxic, and if it is okay to keep on the kitchen table because she has twin toddlers.
- A woman called about her 86 year old mother who has dementia and has taken an unknown amount of Mirapex
- A 2 year old was found sucking on the nozzle of Formula 409 kitchen cleaner. The nozzle was in the off position, but mom was concerned about residue on the nozzle.
- A 2 year old child ingested a button battery.
***IPC specialists also made 17 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been previously consulted on.
This is just one hour, read the rest of the cases from the 24 hour day (links below). Prevention is priceless! Click here for free online poison prevention education course and/or educational materials.
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 9am-10am
- 10am-11am (13 calls)
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 7am-8am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 8am-9am
- Day in the life of a Poison Center: 12am-7am