It is that time of year where friends and family come together to share a very special holiday: Thanksgiving. As you are celebrating this wonderful time of the year, take a little time out to reflect on the value of the services that IPC provides you year around.
* Happy anniversary to us!! In 2013 the IPC is celebrating its 60th year as the first poison center in the USA. Illinoisans can be proud of the legacy of high quality poison control center services delivered over the last 6 decades.
*IPC is a free, confidential emergency service available to all 12.9 million residents of Illinois 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are always available, whenever you need us at 1-800-222-1222…even during the holidays.
* Here’s a holiday gift for you: the IPC saves individuals, third party payers, and the government more than $50 million per year in unnecessary medical services. This is accomplished by preventing unnecessary emergency room visits and hospital admissions, and reducing length of stay in the hospital for a poisoning. That’s just in Illinois and just in 1 year!
*Our expert staff, made up of physicians, pharmacists and nurses, are specially trained in toxicology. The average staff tenure here at the IPC is over 13 years! You can count on our experts to quickly give you the right answer when you are having an emergency involving a potentially harmful substance.
*IPC services are available to healthcare providers. In fact, nearly 30% of all of our exposure calls come from treating clinicians about hospitalized patients (21,259 cases in 2012). Physicians and nurses at hospitals all over Illinois trust the IPC to help them treat their poisoned patients—so you know you can trust the IPC too.
* IPC staff are trained to handle a wide variety of toxicology emergencies. You can call the IPC about any potentially harmful substance in existence! Just a few examples include:
- Home or work chemicals
- Household cleaning items
- Prescription, over the counter, herbal or illegal drugs
- Vitamins and/or supplements
- Indoor or outdoor plants
- Snake, bug or animal bites
- Food poisoning
- Environmental exposures
*The IPC provides education to the public via this blog and the Illinois poison center website . Resources include My Child Ate…, holiday poison prevention strategies, poison/drug related topics in the media and the Poison Prevention Education Resource Center.
*The staff at IPC works closely with the experts of the Toxikon Consortium. Toxikon is a group of board certified medical toxicologist located in Chicago. A Toxikon physician is on call 24/7, just in case one of our Poison Specialists needs extra help on a complicated poisoning case. Congratulations to them on their 25th anniversary this year!!
We hope you feel the same way we do when we say “Thank Goodness for the IPC!!” At the same time we wish you a happy and safe Thanksgiving. If you have any questions or encounter any potential poisoning problems during this holiday please feel free to call us at 1-800-222-1222.
P.S. If you wish to share with us a story of how the IPC has helped you or just to say “thanks for being there when we needed you” please drop us a line.
- Much To Be Thankful For…
- Teaching, Treating, and Problem Solving Poisonings
- Holiday Survival Guide Part One
- Holiday Survival Guide Part Two
- Senator Andy Manar: Why I Support the Illinois Poison Center