Say the word “poison” and most people conjure up an image of chemicals in a container marked with a skull and cross-bones, arsenic or even Agent Orange. But these are only a few of the thousands of substances the experts in the call center deal with that involve children and adults of all ages, ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. A majority of the calls involve medication errors, medication/drug reactions; cleaning/beauty care/automotive products, insect/animal bites and stings, plants, food, vitamins/supplements, lead, carbon monoxide and sometimes even regular drinking water, etc. Basically…anything and everything has the potential to be harmful; the dosage makes it so! Not surprising that:
For children ages 18-36 months, poisoning is the #1 cause of injury-related hospitalization and death
Poisoning is the leading cause of unintentional injury-related adult deaths in the U.S. surpassing firearms and motor vehicle accidents as causes. Nine (9) out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by medications/drugs.
Since the month of March is IL Poison Prevention Month (IPPM), the IPC has some wonderful tools and opportunities to help you create safer home/work/play environments. As we all know, stuff happens no matter how much we educate ourselves and/or how many precautions we take. Unfortunately, PANIC is the first thing most people do when they or someone they know is exposed to something potentially harmful (aka: poison). TREAT or remedy the situation is the second thing. Either or both of these reactions can be even more harmful than the “poison” . Best to always take a deep breath and quickly call the IPC. Within seconds you’ll be connected to the experts who can both calm you and give you the most effective and expert treatment recommendation(s) possible. For those of you who’ve called, you know what I’m talking about! Still want more assurance the experts know what they’re talking about? Check out the IPPM Twitter Chat Series every Thursday in March and ask them yourself!
Here are some other quick ways to prevent yourself and others from falling into the Panic/Treat trap mentioned above:
- Join us throughout the month of March for a variety of IPPM opportunities, materials, tools and some great prizes donated by IPC supporters!
- Save the 1-800-222-1222 to your cell/land lines…right now!
- Take advantage of IPC’s free, quick and easy online Poison Prevention Education Training
- Request an IPC Complimentary Packet for you or another (includes sticker, magnet, first aid for poisoning tips)
Bottom line…if something has given you or you think it might give you/another an unexpected and/or unwanted reaction…call the IPC at 1.800.222.1222 immediately. Every second counts and luckily for all of us, expert help is less than a minute away, confidential and FREE!
- The Illinois Poison Center – Literally a “SPI’s Nest” of Activity
- Free Materials for Illinois Poison Prevention Month
- Top 10 Drug and Poison Safety Tips
- It’s Illinois Poison Prevention Month!
- Why are you all up in my business?!