Posted: September 27th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, blog, children, google my kid ate, google my toddler ate, Illinois Poison Center, ipc blog, medication, my child ate google, my child ate nail polish google, Poison Center, poison prevention, toxic exposure, www.illinoispoisoncenter.org | No Comments »
The blog series “My Child Ate…” continues this week with us taking a look at the top ten things children are getting into around the house. Each year, poison centers receive over one million calls involving children ages five and under. Have you ever wondered what in the world kids are getting into? Well check out our top 10 list below:
- Cosmetics/Personal Care Products: “It’s pretty and pink. It’s easy to open, and looks like a fruit drink.” Read more »
Posted: September 20th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, animals, cats, children, dogs, google my child ate poop, google my kid ate, google my toddler ate, human, Illinois Poison Center, Poison Center, poop, toxic exposures, www.illinoispoisoncenter.org | 2 Comments »
Welcome to the IPC’s second installment of the “my child ate…” blog series. Last week Mike explored the dangers of prescription medications, and this week I am going to talk about stuff kids eat that is really, really gross. Like poop, for example. Do kids really eat poop, you may ask? They sure do. All shapes, sizes and species. I can even give you a ranking of the most common poop calls we get:
Most of the time, for babies, this is in the form of their own poop. It is the most common poop call because, well… it’s the most accessible—it comes right out of them! Read more »
Posted: September 17th, 2011 | No Comments »
Great Fun, Great Deal for a Great Cause!
Buy discounted tickets to Six Flags Great America and help the Illinois Poison Center (IPC) raise $25,000!
When you purchase tickets online to Six Flags Fright Fest for October 1 and 2 you will receive discounted tickets and $5 of the purchase price will be donated to the Illinois Poison Center! To get the deal, you must buy the tickets online and use the promo code “MCHC”. Read more »
Posted: September 13th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, Anti-inflammatory medications, calcium blockers, calls, children, day in the life of a poison center, google, google my kid ate, google my toddler ate, harmful, Illinois Poison Center, medicine, my child ate google, My Child Ate.., pain medicine, parents, Poison Center, poison prevention, store safely, TLC, www.illinoispoisoncenter.org | No Comments »
Over the next 4 weeks the IPC staff will contribute some of their most compelling cases from the call center that often start with three words, “my child ate…” We hope you enjoy this blog series, and we encourage you to share your own “My Child Ate…” stories or your poison center experience.
There is a burgeoning fascination with the strange things children eat. If one were to do an internet search on the three words “my child ate”, it looks like a lot of children are eating Tums, poop (yes, poop, human and pet), pennies, crayons, deodorant and a host of household products. Going beyond internet search, the TLC channel even has a TV show on the subject and has casting calls for the show “Your Child at What?” Read more »
Posted: September 6th, 2011 | Tags: 1800-222-1222, animals, fish, Illinois Poison Center, mother nature, mushrooms, non-toxic, organic, plants, poisonprevention, substances, toxic | 1 Comment »
It’s one of the biggest poison myths of all time: ‘all-natural’ or ‘organic’ substances are safer than their man-made or ‘chemical’ counterparts. However, the fact is that some of the most toxic substances known to man come straight from mother earth (or her creatures). There may be many positives about organic or all-natural products, but being inherently safer to humans is not one of them. Please don’t make the mistake of being less than vigilant in the way you store organic cleansers, all-natural pesticides or herbal supplements. Remember the toxicology mantra “the dosage makes it so”. Any substance can be potentially harmful/toxic in the right amount! Read more »