Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Don’t Tolerate Toxic Toasts by Toddlers this Holiday Season

Posted: December 28th, 2010 | Tags: , , , | No Comments »

At the stroke of midnight on Friday, December 31st, many of us will be ringing in 2011 with the familiar phrase “happy new year!” while sipping our favorite alcoholic beverages.  However, being oblivious to where you leave your unfinished drink can result in a very scary start to the New Year if your child gets alcohol poisoning. Read more »


Last Minute Gifts? Make Sure Toxic Toys Aren’t On Your List!

Posted: December 21st, 2010 | No Comments »

The clocks ticking… have you done all of your holiday shopping? Have you retrieved the one toy that was on the TOP of the gift list this year? With the holidays quickly approaching and everyone out feverously shopping for gifts, it is also important to make sure that the toys you purchase are safe [this is a year around reminder by the way].  According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) an average at least 15 children die each year from choking on a toy or toy part.  Although most toys found on store shelves are safe, there are still some toys that can pose a risk for young children (even if they meet the legal safety requirements).  These include items which may cause choking or damage the gastrointestinal tract such as small toys and removable toy parts, balls (especially if the diameter is less than 1.75 in), balloons, marbles, magnets, and toys shaped like corks or cones.  Additionally, some paints and pigments used in toys may expose your child to toxic metals such as Lead, Cadmium, or Antimony. Read more »


There was only a little bit of windshield washer fluid left in the jug so. . .

Posted: December 14th, 2010 | No Comments »

 I put it in a smaller empty plastic bottle.

In a 2 year retrospective study on the causes of methanol poisoning — presented at the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology this year — 30% of the methanol exposures (the toxic ingredient in most windshield wiper fluid) that were called into the Illinois Poison Center occurred because someone transferred leftover windshield wiper fluid to another container.  While the person who transferred the fluid knew it was not for consumption, the next  unsuspecting individual who came along mistook the liquid for a refreshing “blue raspberry drink”, Gatorade, juice or some other tasty beverage.  We’ve heard this exact scenario over 40 times in the 2 year study period. Read more »


Major Report Puts Kibosh on Vitamin D Craze

Posted: December 7th, 2010 | No Comments »

During this dark, dreary winter season, we think there’s no better time to provide you with an important update on the “sunshine vitamin.”  If you pay attention to medical news, media stories, infomercials, and advertisements, then you know that vitamin D supplementation is commonly promoted for a variety of health-related issues.  Read more »


‘Tis the season for shopping…and giving (to the IPC) while you shop!

Posted: December 1st, 2010 | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

…At No Cost To You!

Who says Cyber Monday is the only time you can shop online to find great deals?! Did you know that by making every day and holiday purchases online via iGive.com, a percentage of your total will be donated to the IPC? Yes indeed.

This means that every purchase you make on iGive will go to maintaining the Illinois Poison Center’s telemedicine services and public education programs.  Read more »