Posted: August 31st, 2010 | Tags: advil, back to school, bees, bugs, fall, First-Aid, remedy, seasons, stings, swelling, tylenol, yellow jackets | 2 Comments »
By Tony Burda DABAT and Sheri VanOsdol Pharm.D.
The incidence of bee stings tends to rise during the late summer and fall. Recently, a suburban Chicago greenhouse worker died from a suspected reaction to a bee sting. This unfortunate incident prompted us to summarize some simple first aid tips in the event that you are stung and how to avoid beestings. Read more »
Posted: August 17th, 2010 | 3 Comments »
15 years ago I worked four straight night shifts during the one of the largest heat-related disasters in the Midwest; over 700 people died in the Chicago metropolitan area in just a few days during that deadly heat wave of 1995. I vividly remember ambulances lined up waiting to bring another critically ill patient into our already full-to-the-gills ER. In 2006, another killer heat wave engulfed the Midwest, but this time the public health infrastructure was ready and less than 30 people perished in a similar event to the one 11 years earlier.
It is once again summer in the Midwest and the temperature seems to be pushing 90 degrees or Read more »
Posted: August 12th, 2010 | 1 Comment »
After months of diligently working to encourage Governor Pat Quinn and the Illinois General Assembly to maintain funding for the Illinois Poison Center in the new fiscal state budget (FY2011), our hard work has “paid off”! The Illinois Poison Center is pleased to announce that Governor Quinn has decided to maintain funding for the poison center at the same level as the previous year. We are satisfied that this base level of funding will allow the IPC to avoid closure and continue to provide an invaluable service to all who live and work in Illinois. Read more »
Posted: August 10th, 2010 | No Comments »
By Tony Burda DABAT, and Sheri VanOsdol, Pharm.D.
You probably have seen or heard the story about the recent study released from the Journal of Pediatrics regarding the incidence of children treated in emergency departments due to exposure to household cleaning products. Rather than quoting a lot of statistics, which you can find on other websites, we thought we’d give you IPC’s view on the article’s findings.
Read more »
Posted: August 3rd, 2010 | 4 Comments »
By Harry C. Karydes, DO, Toxicology Fellow
An interesting case came into the Illinois Poison Centerthis week. A frantic father called after his 3 year-old daughter inadvertently ingested copper sulfate. During the case review, it was discovered that the father was using the product as an algaecide to clean their outdoor pool. Unfortunately, he placed this liquid in an unmarked clear plastic bottle which to his unsuspecting daughter looked like a refreshing summer drink. Read more »