Midnight to 7am
- A 3 year old woke up in the middle of the night and went to play in a closet while his parents were asleep. He tipped mango scented laundry soap up to mouth , ingested some and spilled it on his face.
- A 20 year old woman was depressed and took a handful of ibuprofen.
- An emergency room called requesting advice on a 17 year old known drug user who was brought in by police. They were chasing him and he ingested a baggie with an unknown white powder in it.
- An ER physician called for advice about a 58 year old male patient who ingested up to 39 of his own diltiazem capsules approximately 2 hours before arriving.
- A 59 year old woman called after she reached for her water bottle in the middle of the night and accidentally took a swig of household hydrogen peroxide that was also on the nightstand.
- An ER charge nurse called for initial management recommendations because an ambulance is bringing them a 35 year old male who has ingested up to 30 each of his Abilify® and lorazepam. He also had access to his wife’s medication which include Lyrica® and amitriptyline.
- An adult female called worried because she took 2 Aleve® for her headache and then noticed that the pills expired 5 years ago.
- An adult woman called because a battery leaked out of her personal massager and she was concerned about battery acid burns.
- An emergency room called regarding a 29 year old male patient who had chewed and swallowed a fentanyl transdermal patch in an attempt to get high. He was found unresponsive by his mother and brought in via ambulance.
- An adult male called concerned about his friend who drank a very large amount of alcohol over the course of the previous evening after losing his job. His friend had vomited numerous times and had very garbled speech but is awake.
- An adult female called after she accidentally took 2 of her melatonin tablets.
- A 20 year old college student drank 2 Red Bulls® and took 6-7 Ritalin® tablets that belonged to a friend to help her stay awake and concentrate to study for a big exam. She stated she was having palpitations, vomiting and tremors.
- An ER nurse called for management information regarding a 40 year old male who ingested half a bottle of caustic drain cleaner in a self harm gesture, and is now vomiting blood.
- An ER called for treatment advice regarding a 19 year old male, who states he ‘just wanted to sleep’ so took a handful of Valium® and drank 4 beers.
- An elderly gentleman accidentally used an Efferdent® denture tablet instead of an Alka-Seltzer® tablet and drank the whole glass.
- An ER called about a family of 3 who were pulled out of a fire. ER had questions on how to treat carbon monoxide and combustion product exposure.
- A mom called because she accidentally gave her 2 year old 5ml of liquid methadone, having mistaken it for ibuprofen suspension.
- An emergency room called for advice regarding an adult who took an overdose of an unknown medication and was having seizures not responsive to any seizure medication that they have tried.
- An ER physician called about a 58 year old male who presented to the emergency room after ingesting several bottles of mouthwash to get drunk. The doctor wanted to know if there are any other ingredients in the mouthwash that could be dangerous.
- An ER called for treatment recommendations regarding a 28 year old patient with a history of chronic spray paint abuse who showed up confused and delirious. He had gold paint around his nose and mouth.
- A 30 year old male called IPC concerned because he and his pregnant wife were awakened by their carbon monoxide alarm. He does not know how long it had been beeping before they woke up. Both had headaches and felt nauseated.
- An ER nurse called about a patient brought in by her parents, who found her unresponsive in the bathroom at 11pm. She had been at a friend’s house earlier in the evening and the friend said they were all trying out some oxycodone that they found in his grandmother’s medicine cabinet.
- An ICU nurse called about a 16 year old who had been having seizures after taking 28 Coricidin Cough and Cold® tablets to get high.
- A 28 year old female used hand sanitizer after changing her baby’s diaper. As she pumped the hand sanitizer, a blob of sanitizer squirted into her eye.
- An ER physician called requesting treatment recommendations regarding a 56 year old patient who took all of his Seroquel® and his Celexa® tablets in a self harm gesture and is currently unresponsive.
- A hospital ICU called regarding a patient who ingested a large amount of aspirin and is critically ill. They requested information on treatments that are available to save this patient’s life.
- A man broke a compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb and wondered how to clean it up, and asked if he should be concerned about the mercury content.
- An ER nurse called for treatment advice on an adult patient who ingested ” $7 dollars worth of Walgreens Benadryl” in a self harm gesture.
- A middle age woman mixed up her medication and instead of taking one each of her 5 medications, she took 5 of her amlodipine tablets.
- An ER nurse called about a critically ill 39 year old patient with a history of crack cocaine abuse, exhibiting high blood pressure, seizures and very high temperature (107F).
- A hospital called because one of their nurses had inadvertently given a patient 100 units of insulin instead of 10 units of insulin.
- A tearful 30 year old woman called to say she ingested an entire bottle of over the counter Aleve® tablets several hours previous in a self harm gesture. She afterwards had second thoughts about ending her life.
- An ER called about a 33 year old female patient who has abdominal cramping and vomiting; the patient states she took a half bottle of Tylenol the day before.
- An ER physician called for initial management information on a 46 year old male that has ingested an unknown quantity of aspirin tablets along with alcohol.
- A 68 year old man accidentally used capsaicin cream instead of hemorrhoid cream.
**IPC specialists also made 16 follow up calls to hospitals during this time in addition to taking these incoming calls. Follow up calls are performed to monitor the progress and treatment of patients and to make certain the clinical course fits with the suspected poison.
This is only the beginning! Read the rest of the day here.