- A child ingested several mouthfuls of bathwater that had Mr Bubbles® in it.
- A 4 year old inadvertently brushed his teeth with Bengay® muscle rub instead of toothpaste.
- A 3 year old ingested up to a mouthful of potting soil.
- A 15 year old girl inadvertently sprayed hair spray into her eyes.
- A 2 year old was found sucking on a reed that had been in a jar of reed diffuser oil.
- A 19 month old ate a small piece of a 4 x 6” photograph.
- A 40 year old female chopped up some habanero peppers for a salsa recipe. Despite repeated washing with soap and water, her fingers were still burning. She asked what she could do to relieve the burning.
- A teenager was standing near a car when the driver squirted wiper fluid to clean the windshield. The teenager may have gotten a splash in her mouth.
- A 7 year old was playing with/chewing on a glowstick she got as a party favor, and it exploded in her mouth. She swallowed a taste of the liquid.
- A 2 year old ingested a small piece of a philodendron leaf.
- A 24 year old woman called about her boyfriend. The woman had a Brazilian wax at a salon where they had used a numbing cream on the area and now her boyfriend is complaining numb lips, mouth and tongue. He was concerned that he may have ingested some of this numbing cream.
- A father called because he dropped one ibuprofen 200mg tablet on the ground and cannot find it. He fears his 9 month old might have ingested it.
- A 4 year old ingested up to 8 pieces of chocolate Ex-Lax® because she thought it was chocolate candy.
- A 7 month old was crawling around by the front door and ingested 1-2 pebbles of rock salt.
- A 32 year old male presents to the ER extremely lethargic 3 hours after ingesting an unknown amount of Zyprexa® and Norco®.
- A 37 year old female called concerned about natural gas. She came home from work today and detected an odor of natural gas. She realized that one of the pilot lights on her stove is out. She does not know how long it has been out and thus how long she has been exposed to natural gas.
- Caller heard that poison prevention month is March and is wondering how she can get involved. IPC recommended she take our free online poison prevention education course and order some free materials. www.illinoispoisoncenter.com/outreach
- A 3 year old was found playing with Tessalon Perles®. His mother states he may have ingested an unknown amount.
- A 15 year old female got mad at her mother so took an unknown quantity of her parents’ medications. The list of possible medications includes hydrochlorothiazide, sumatriptan, atenolol, atorvastatin, mirtazipine, amlodipine, alprazolam, gabapentin, glipizide and metformin.
***IPC specialists also made 7 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had already been consulted on.
This is just 1 hour of the day; read the rest here.