- A 4 year old child ingested some granules from a silica gel packet.
- After playing basketball, an 18 year old male took two large swigs from a Gatorade® bottle that he found in his friend’s Jeep. Turns out it was windshield wiper fluid the friend had transferred to the smaller bottle to make it more portable.
- A 5 year old licked his hands after mom squirted hand sanitizer on them before dinner.
- While crawling in the kitchen, a 10 month old bit into a dishwasher cleanser tablet.
- A man called to find out where he should dispose of old prescription medications that belonged to his mother, who recently passed away.
- A 16 month old got into Tussionex® suspension belonging to his uncle. He drank an unknown quantity from the 4 ounce bottle.
- A caller was taking her daily vitamins, and instead of taking one each of her 5 different vitamins, she took all 5 of high dose vitamin B complex vitamins.
- A 2 year old crawled up onto the bathroom counter and got into the children’s Motrin syrup. She drank nearly half the bottle.
- A 2 year old was playing in a suitcase and ingested a mouthful of sunscreen that had been inside.
- A grandmother mixed diphacinone rat poison into the jar of peanut butter. She spread the mixture on some crackers and set them on the counter. While she made a few trips to distribute them to other parts of the house, her 13 year old grandson came into kitchen and thought the snack was made for him.
- A 26 year old sprayed his couch for fleas, forgot about it, and slept on it several hours later.
- An elderly man asked if he can get the H1N1 flu vaccine the same day he gets the pneumonia vaccine.
- A 15 year old girl got into a fight with her mother and took an entire bottle of acetaminophen 500mg tablets.
- A 5 year old child was accidentally given two seasonal flu vaccines in the same day.
- A toddler got into her mother’s medication and ingested a maximum of 7 levothyroxine 50mcg tablets.
- A 30 year old female called complaining of headache and diarrhea. She realized she had been taking 60mg of Prozac daily for the last week instead of the 30mg daily she should be taking.
***IPC specialists also made 9 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had been consulted on.
This is only 1 hour of the day; to read the rest, click here.