- A caller was trying to unclog a stubborn drain and poured drain cleaner and bleach into the sink at the same time. He immediately began having nose and eye burning and coughing. (bleach and an acid drain cleaner mixed together create chlorine gas which is a very strong respiratory irritant).
- A 3 year old child ingested up to 10 chewable multivitamins with iron.
- A 9 month old child ate a mouthful of body lotion.
- Caller had questions on the safety of preservatives in pediatric vaccines.
- A 3 year old ingested a lead fishing weight.
- A 35 year old female called, because she took two of her malaria prevention tablets in the same day, and they are only supposed to be taken once a week.
- A toddler found a mothball in the garage, took one bite and spit most of it out.
- A 2 year old ingested up to a half a bottle of Mylicon drops.
- ER called about a 60 year old man who was prescribed fentanyl patches for his cancer pain. He did not know how to use the patches and instead of sticking it onto his skin, he cut open the patch and rubbed the gel inside onto his chest.
- A 4 year old child was bitten by a field mouse.
- A woman called concerned because her cleaning lady used a ‘strong’ product in her microwave. She could still smell the cleaner and asked if it is safe to cook food in there and eat it.
- A toddler got into his grandmother’s medication; the grandmother is visiting from Poland and does not speak English. The ER has no idea what the pill is or what it is for and called IPC for help.
- Caller got a polyisocyanate compound (Great Stuff) stuck to his hands and couldn’t get it off.
- A 20 year old male put weekly contact lens cleaner directly in his eye thinking it was rewetting drops.
***IPC specialists also made 6 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had already been consulted on.
This is only 1 hour of the day; click here to read the rest.