The 5 Most Popular IPC Blog Posts

1pm-2pm (15 calls)

Posted: February 10th, 2010 | Tags: , , | 6 Comments »
  1. A 9 month old child ingested up to a mouthful of Balmex® diaper cream.
  2. A 2 year old child ingested a swig of rubbing alcohol.
  3. A preschool teacher would like to have someone from IPC to come out and give a poison prevention lecture to the children.
  4. A 4 year old got into an older sibling’s Tegretol® 4 hours before calling the IPC.  The child is confused and can’t walk straight.
  5. A 2 year old had a finger lick of hair relaxer.
  6. A 3 year old was found sucking on a blue magic marker.  His entire mouth and tongue are now blue.
  7. A 21 month old got into a bottle of Tylenol Infant drops and ingested approximately ¼ of the bottle.
  8. A caller ate a sandwich with lunchmeat and only after eating it, realized the meat expired 7 months ago.
  9. 911 conferenced in a caller whose child had accidentally taken a small swallow of bleach that had been stored in a drinking cup.  IPC reassured 911 dispatcher and the patient that no ambulance was needed.
  10. An adult male has a car for sale; he decided to siphon out some gas to save money and swallowed a mouthful.
  11. An adult male has been taking Vicodin and Xanax at the same time for the last 2 days.  He just noticed the warning label on the bottle advising not to take both at the same time.
  12. Mom called because her 18 year old was playing football in the backyard with his friends while an exterminator was spraying the trees with a pesticide.   The boys became nauseated and developed runny noses.
  13. Caller was working on her computer and had dry eyes; she reached for her eye drops she always keeps on her desk and instilled a few drops into her right eye.  Unfortunately, she had instead grabbed a tube of super glue she had used the day before to repair a chip on the desk.
  14. A welder who works with galvanized steel has developed mild flu like symptoms and was wondering if it could be related to his work.
  15. A frantic mother brought her child to ER because she had eaten both her and her sister’s chewable vitamin.  This is not expected to cause any toxicity at all, and had she called the poison center first she would have avoided a costly, unnecessary hospital visit and several hours in the waiting room.

***In addition, IPC specialists made 14 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had already been consulted on.

This is only 1 hour of the day; click here to read the rest.

Bookmark and Share

Related posts:

  1. 9am-10am (10 calls)
  2. Midnight-7am (35 calls)
  3. 7am-8am (6 calls)
  4. 10am-11am (13 calls)
  5. 8am-9am (6 calls)

6 Comments on “1pm-2pm (15 calls)”

  1. 1 Travis said at 2:59 pm on February 10th, 2010:

    Is this the typical amount of calls you get every day? It seems like you see a variety of calls, but not a huge amount of them every hour, especially in the earlier hours.

  2. 2 Carol said at 3:06 pm on February 10th, 2010:

    Great question Travis. Yes, our average call volume is 282 poisoning cases per day, which averages out to over 100,000 per year. Typically the earliest hours of the day are the least busy. You’ll see that later on, between 6pm-11pm, we get 17-20 calls per hour.
    And while we showed you a 1-2 sentence summary of each sample call, a lot more goes into each one. Some of our calls can take upwards of 15 minutes each. We take time to get a full history surrounding each exposure, research and assess the situation, inform the caller of the expected effects, and also describe any interventions that may need to be done to ensure the best possible outcome. We’re not just a voice on the phone, we collaborate with other health care professions to ensure that every potential poisoning we are involved with receives the most up to date and best possible toxicology information. We also do over 100 follow up calls every day to both homes and hospitals, to make sure things are going as expected.

  3. 3 Illinois Poison Center Blog » Blog Archive » A Day In the Life of a Poison Center said at 5:39 pm on February 24th, 2010:

    […] 1:00pm-2:00pm (15 calls) […]

  4. 4 Angie said at 2:31 pm on April 12th, 2010:

    Wow, squirting SuperGlue in your eyes is more than a little horrifying! Is that fixable?

  5. 5 Carol said at 5:01 pm on April 12th, 2010:

    Angie,
    You’re right, super glue can be nasty. People have glued their eyes shut! There are indeed methods to fix it yes, and the sooner someone gets it, the better.
    Carol

  6. 6 Sire said at 6:57 am on June 13th, 2011:

    Thank you for the follow-up in the comments. I was really creeped out by the superglue-in-eye one, now at least I know there are ways to fix it.


Leave a Reply