- An ER called for assistance with an adult male who was pulled unconscious from a tank he had been cleaning at his worksite.
- A 3 year old child has eaten several granules in a silica gel packet.
- A toddler ingested a swallow of acetone nail polish remover.
- A mom’s group wanted to order some poison prevention materials. IPC directed her to www.illinoispoisoncenter.org/outreach to take our free poison prevention education course. After completing it, she can order a variety of free materials.
- A 3 year old child went into the refrigerator and drank the remainder of his cherry-flavored amoxicillin suspension.
- An adolescent patient presented to an emergency room after taking a large swallow from a Snapple® Iced Tea bottle that turned out to be concentrated pesticide. A family member had borrowed the concentrate from a friend and had put it in the tea bottle to transport.
- A 3 year old ingested a piece of Play Doh®.
- Caller received a get-well plant and wondered if it is toxic, or if it is okay to keep on the kitchen table because she has twin toddlers.
- A woman called about her 86 year old mother who has dementia and has taken an unknown amount of Mirapex tablets.
- A 2 year old was found sucking on the nozzle of Formula 409® kitchen cleaner. The nozzle was in the off position, but mom was concerned about residue on the nozzle.
- A 4 year old might have chewed and swallowed several Styrofoam packing peanuts.
- Caller has one squirt bottle with bleach/water to disinfect her kitchen, and another with just water that she uses to spray the dog. She was going to spray the dog, but had mixed up the two bottles. She wanted to make sure she didn’t spray her dog with bleach, so she had squirted some in her mouth to check. It was the bleach.
- A 2 year old child ingested a button battery.
***In addition, IPC specialists made 16 calls to homes and hospitals to follow up on the clinical course of patients we had already been consulted on.
This is only 1 hour of the day; click here to read the rest.