Like our blog?! Click here to receive our monthly posts straight to your inbox!

Party Poisons

Posted: December 29th, 2009 | 1 Comment »

New Years is just around the corner which means it’s time to booze it up and hopefully not drive home.  For many many years, humans have desired, searched for and used compounds that alter their sensorium….to help them unwind, relax, forget their troubles and take the edge off of or a temporary break from, harsh reality.    The use of psychoactive chemicals like alcohol and other drugs to party is as prevalent as ever.  Since upcoming New Year’s Eve is arguably the biggest party of the year, read on before you partake in any party poisons. Read more »


Best wishes for a food poisoning free holiday season

Posted: December 22nd, 2009 | Tags: , , , | 1 Comment »

How to prevent food poisoning over the holidays:

It is 1a.m., a house full of out-of-town holiday guests and to everyone’s dismay, there is a line for the bathroom as several family members suddenly develop vomiting and diarrhea.  Not the picture of holiday bliss, especially when mom says it was the turkey, or the cream puffs, or maybe it was the left over Chinese food.  Well, maybe your mom wouldn’t start placing blame, but I know mine would. Read more »


Know the Difference Between Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas?

Posted: December 15th, 2009 | Tags: , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Winter is here, which means furnaces are on, fireplaces are crackling and ovens are baking up tasty treats.   Do YOU know the difference between these two potentially toxic gases?  If you didn’t even know there was a difference, you’re not alone.  Here’s the scoop.

First of all, breathing and oxygen (O2) 101: You take a breath of room air (which is about 21% O2 here on Earth), and the air goes into your lungs.  Your red blood cells pick up the O2 from your lungs, and they carry it on to your organs, which need O2 to work properly.  The organs that use the most O2 are your brain and heart….  Yep, those are pretty important ones. Read more »


Welcome to the Illinois Poison Center Blog

Posted: December 9th, 2009 | Tags: , , , , , , , | 5 Comments »

An Introduction to the Illinois Poison Center Blog:

Welcome to the first post of the Illinois Poison Center blog site!  I must be honest, in medical school I never thought I would be writing an internet blog, probably because Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet yet and blogs did not exist.  A lot has changed in the past 20 plus years.  With the tremendous growth in the internet and social media, the ability to communicate in the blogosphere has taken off with mommy blogs, daddy blogs, political blogs, community blogs, health-related blogs and others.  There are those who may ask “Does the world really need another blog, especially a poison center blog?”  I would have to answer with an unequivocal “yes”.

The Illinois Poison Center provides a variety of services and programs that encompass health care, public health education and research.  Through this blog, we will generate a dialogue, a conversation, with everyone interested in decreasing the harm of poisoning in their family, community or in the patients they treat.

We will have stories, articles, news you can use, interesting poisoning cases, and information and education on how to make your home and community safer. Read more »


IPC featured on FoxNews on Hand Sanitizer Safety

Posted: December 4th, 2009 | 1 Comment »

Check out this video from FoxNews that provides a good summary of the safety of hand sanitizers. While good at killing germs, caution is needed in dispensing to kids.  From the story:

“It [hand sanitizer] is causing new problems for starters using too much can make kids sick. The biggest risk is that it is a very high percentage of ethanol 62% — at least a dozen times a week the Illinois poison center gets calls from worried parents about their kids who’ve licked their hands after using the sanitizer or a toddler accidentally drinking it.”

Still have questions or worried about your child?  Call us at 1-800-222-1222.